Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Strike







The other day I convinced my Dad to let me bring my scooter to school with me even though he’d have to bring it back. On the way to school it was a bit rocky for me on my scooter. I was mostly left behind and I kept yelling, “Dad! Wait up!” There wasn’t much traffic on the road like there usually is – moms and dads dropping their kids off at school. But that morning we saw no one until we reached school and then we spotted my friend Noah and his mother. My dad talked to his mother and we discovered there was a strike that day. I didn’t know what a strike was. A strike is when you don’t have any work. And the teachers had a strike that day. There was still some daycare that day at school but we decided to go home. On the walk back my dad was happy that he didn’t have to carry the scooter home. We stopped at the Boulangerie to pick up some bread and I found a dollar in front of the store. Can you believe it was a dollar? Not a euro. The dollar was crumpled up and dirty and taped together. My dad thought it was probably someone’s lucky dollar and had dropped from their wallet. Now it’s lucky for me.

Yesterday at school my hand was bleeding from my watch. It had three bumps, two next to the bleeding spot and one somewhere else. I also bumped into my classmate. My chin hurt for a while. I also got a scratch on my hand. But on the good side, I got a piggy back ride from Noah at school.

I had to go to the doctor the other day because I needed a checkup to be allowed to go to school. I went to see Dr. Angus, who is from England and lives in a village near us called Nebien. When we were looking for the place the day before, we got lost and climbed up a really narrow street with no way to turn around and my dad almost drove the car down some stairs! Dr. Angus was nice. He made me say “aaah.” He checked in my ears. And that was it.

We also went to the market on Wednesday morning in Gignac. There’s no school on Wednesday but you can go on field trips. But that day I still didn’t have my checkup and other stuff I needed. At the market, we bought some clams. I washed their shells and played with them

I’m going to show you a picture of our house on the corner of Rue de L'Abreauvoir and Rue de La Barriere. It’s on the corner and has its shutters open. Also, there’s a picture of me in front of my door and one of me and my lucky dollar. And one of some cheese at the market that my dad took. But just so you know, I don't like most cheese, except on pizza and a few other kinds. France has a lot of cheese.

A bientot!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Shoshie! My Brownie troop has "Thinking Day" coming up and we are presenting "France" to the other troops in Burbank. All the troops set up booths representing different countries and scouting programs in the world, then get a passport and go around to visit different presentations. We would like a picture of French cheese and wonder if you would mind if we used your cheese photo in our presentation! :-)
    -Ann and the Brownies of Troop 1045-6, Burbank, California

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salut Shoshie! Comment vas-tu? Miera told me that you had this blog and I was so excited to see it! I hope you're having fun at school and exploring a lot with your family. I know you're not a big fan of cheese, but do you like yogurt? There are so many yummy flavors in France, and they come in little cups just the right size for kids.

    J'attends avec impatience ton prochain "post" et tes nouvelles.
    Gros bisous!

    ReplyDelete